The Mass: Step by Step
**We apologize that the article links on this page are not active at this moment. We are working to repair our website. Please contact Maria Sittig at [email protected] with the name of the article you are looking for if you would like it before the website is repaired.**
In this section of my writings you will find:
- A four-page introduction to the Mass
- A 45-page step-by-step explanation of the Mass and how it applies to our lives. Each chapter of this small book offers practical suggestions on how to enter more fully into the Mass. At the end of each chapter are questions for use with a small group.
The book also has an explanation of each season of the Liturgical Year.
Introduction to the Mass
Brief explanation of the parts of the Mass (4 page PDF).
INTRODUCCIÓN A LA MISA (5 page PDF)
Full, Conscious, Active Participation in the Mass and The Liturgical Year (Revised March 2017)
A step by step commentary on each part of the Mass and the seasons of the Liturgical Year with suggestions on how to be more actively engaged in both (46 page PDF).
What people are saying about Full, Active, Participation in the Mass and the Liturgical Year:
- "Father Eamon Tobin’s explanation of the parts of the Mass and of the Liturgical Year is informative, inspiring and spiritually nourishing. He offers an exciting plan for a living, active and faith-filled participation in the liturgy with extensive and illuminating comments, reflection questions and pastoral tips. His pastoral heart is present on every page of his book." - Father Alfred McBride, O. Praem. (St. Joseph Priory, De Pere, WI); Author of How to Make Homilies Better, Briefer and Bolder
- “This Full, Active, Participation in the Mass and the Liturgical Year represents rich spiritual wisdom from the heat of the day, being the work of a long-time pastor in the trenches. Its down to earth explanations and practical suggestions will enhance our active participation in the Mass, enabling us to drink all the more deeply from the ever fresh waters of Word and Sacrament that spring up unto life eternal.” - Thomas H. Groome Prof. Theology and Religious Education, Boston College; Author of What Makes Us Catholic
- "The Eucharist is the source and summit of our Catholic way of life. Father Tobin explains the Mass in a very readable and inspiring fashion for all Catholics. He helps the reader understand what we celebrate and why we celebrate it. Every parish would benefit from suggesting this book to parishioners and providing for it catechetical leaders." - Mary Birmingham, Parish Liturgist and author of Year Round Catechumenate.
- "This little book by Fr. Eamon Tobin is a small treasure. It is well written, highly informative on almost every aspect of the liturgical celebration, fosters a genuine liturgical spirituality, connects liturgy with daily life and the Gospel mission to the poor. Fr. Tobin has ample quotes from official liturgical sources and frequently makes helpful historical references to clarify the meaning of the liturgical rites. It will be a great help to RCIA teams and their candidates and enriching for liturgical ministers or any Catholic wanting a more intelligent and fruitful participation in the Eucharistic Celebration." - Fr. Doug Doussan, Pastor, St. Gabriel the Archangel Church, New Orleans